Sunday, 29 January 2017

Summer dresses and daffodil quilt blocks 5&6

For my second Burda 2017 challenge I made dress 120 from September 2016 issue.  I actually ended up making 2 of these dresses.
This is the photo from  the magazine


It can also be done in a contrasting fabric for the lower front skirt, which is cut on the bias.

The first one was in this multi-coloured/green fabric from a Hospice shop


In this version the only change I made was to shorten the sleeves.  I really like the dress. It was quick to sew up and is loose and comfortable for hot summer days.  However I am not comfortable with the neckline on this, it is too low for me.

As I really liked the dress I wanted to make another version, this time I raised the back neckline by 1", bought in the shoulders by 1" and raised the front neck by 3".  I also lengthened the skirt by 4 1/4".  While the green one is OK to wear around the house, I am much happier with this one and will happily wear it to the shops, barbeques etc.



To show off that interesting seam I added piping.
I'd also like to make this in a rayon. I'm thinking contrasting fabrics as in the magazine green/blue version.  I've seen a small polka dot fabric in smart dress fabrics that comes in 2 different colour fabrics greys/blues that would go well together, again with the piping detail.  If I do this I'll need 2 metres of the main fabric and 1 metre of the contrast, minimum 115cm wide.

Also done are the 4th and 5th blocks of my quilt.

This is 6 blocks done, so the first row is completed.  Here they are laid out on my bed.

Also made in machine embroidery was an in the hoop pincushion in the shape of a house.  Cute
I made this a couple of months ago, but don't think I posted it.  A phone case for my mobile


No comments:

Post a Comment