Wednesday, 4 January 2017

final 2016 make and first of 2017. 2016 in review and 2017 vision.

2016 finished on a high and 2017 started with a fail!

For 2017 I want to make my first full size quilt.  It will be for my double bed and as daffodils are my favourite flower it will be embroidered with daffodils.  After much debate I found this wonderful Nancy Zieman tutorial for a camouflaged 9 patch.  She shows how to make it and in such an easy way.  Rather than cutting out lots of individual squares, it is cleverly pieced.
I have bought white fabric and a blue batik, similar to the one in Nancy's video.  In the white squares will be machine embroidered a daffodil pattern, with quilting around the sides.  In the blue squares will be a floral redwork pattern, done in white.

Before starting I wanted to test the design so made up a couple of blocks. I used fabric on hand and made a fox winter wreath from Embroidery Library with quilting around the sides and on the smaller squares, and stippling, a free design from Kreative Kiwi on the large blue squares.  The winter fox wreath was offered as part of the Happy Hour.  If you make a purchase from Embroidery Library, the following month you get an email invitation to Happy hour, where there are designs on special.  This fox was part of a design pattern that was free if you made a Happy Hour purchase and is not available on their website.  The design pack is really pretty and I am blown away that they would only offer this as a one-off freebie and not sell it.  So generous!  It certainly encourages me to buy more from them - probably part of their master plan!

 After making the blocks I wondered what to do with them.  They were too pretty to waste.  So I decided another tote bag would work.  Here it is.
Front with winter fox wreath

Inside has 2 inside pockets, one ordrinary, the other has card slots.
The bag closes with an inset zipper.

back of bag, stippled.


2017 didn't start so well though.  I have had my eye on this t-shirt from Burdastyle 2/2016 for months, even knew exactly what fabric I wanted.

Unfortunately my version didn't turn out as nicely.

The front is WAY too low, hence me wearing it over a dress.  The photo is shot from below so not so obvious, but you can see my bra above the pink front,

The side sleeves are set way too low, again showing my bra.

Back view, until I saw this photo I hadn't realised how badly that is dragging.

Very disappointed.  The one saving grace is that it has a front separating zipper, so I can wear it as a casual summer jacket.  Oh well, the fabric was from the Hospice shop and was left over from a previous top, so hasn't cost me anything other than time.

So what happened in 2016?  

My dressmaking consisted of 51 items.  This was 24 tops (5 of these were for my mother), 7 dresses, 6 jackets or sweatshirts, 11 pants/culottes/shorts, and 3 skirts.  The majority of these were Burdastyle (34 items). Other designers were 2 Colette Sorbetto tops, 6 KwikSew patterns, 1 New Look and 6 pairs of Style Arc's Barb pants.  1 designed by me(!) was a kimono top.  I'm surprised how few skirts I made and how many pants were made.  I think I need to start looking at more skirt patterns.

Other:  I made 3 bags and learnt machine embroidery.  I've yet to show all these as a lot were made for Xmas gifts which haven't been handed out yet.  Others I've just forgotten to take photos of!

So what lies ahead for 2017?
As mentioned earlier,  I want to make a quilt this year.  This means there will be less time for dressmaking, but I'm still hoping to make around 3 items a month.  

I have again joined the Burda Challenge for 2017 run on Pattern Review.  You set your own challenge.  For me this it to make 12 garments from magazines that haven't previously had any items made.  To the end of 2016 magazines I own, but haven't made anything from are 2/2015 and April, August, September and October 2016.  Of course there will be all the 2017 issues to come.  I also need to keep in mind to keep my wardrobe casual, now I am not working there is very little need for a dressy wardrobe.  I also want to only buy fabric when I have something specific to make with it and use up some of my stash.  Of course sales and hospice bargains will derail this plan!

I want to continue my machine embroidery growth and try new things.  There is so much to try - exciting times.


No comments:

Post a Comment