12 April 2016

Narrow Pleated Skirt in corduroy

I've had some corduroy in my stash for almost a year.  It was on the special table at Spotlight and cost  just $10 for 2 metres, though it was just 112cm wide.

The pattern I had in mind was this from the 2/2015 issue of BurdaStyle magazine
Юбка с запахом и встречными складками

I patiently traced out all of the pattern, laid the pattern out on the fabric - and I was about 20cm short on fabric.  So back to the magazines.  This time I found #107 in the 10/2015 issue

107-102015-b_large

It is described as :This skirt pattern is a nice piece to be made with a wool material for colder weather. It has narrows pleats, a front zipper and small slit.

Not included in the description are side pockets and a faux flap pocket on the back.

This skirt had a lot of challenges for me.  My first skirt vent, my first fly zipper.  The back has a faux flap pocket, again a first for me.  BurdaStyle instructions assume you know how to do things, so I spent a lot of time looking at various YouTube videos on how to do skirt vents and fly zippers.  Once I understood them, the BurdaStyle instructions made sense.  However the faux flap pocket had me stumped.  I couldn't  find any tutorials to help, so ended up doing it my own way.  The skirt pockets and inside the flap are lined.  I used some remanant lining I had left over after lining my linen jacket..  It is a lavender colour so goes nicely with the grey corduroy.

Here is my finished skirt.



I had cut the waistband about 1inch longer than the pattern called for thinking I could trim it if it was too long.  If anything it was a touch too short.  Next time I'll add about 3 inches to it.  I blind stitched the hem for a smooth finish.  I like the waistband, it is cut quite broad and doubled over, so with the interfacing it is very firm.

 I am really happy with this.  It is a lovely casual skirt.  I met a friend for lunch yesterday and wore this.  I'd like to make a one in denim and another in a heavy cotton.

No comments:

Post a Comment